Allied Health Assistant - Occupational Therapy
North Geelong, VIC
- Are you a qualified Allied Health Assistant looking to work closely with inpatients to help them achieve their daily living rehabilitation goals in a fast paced setting?
- Are you an occupational therapy student, looking for an opportunity to get some paid experience working in an inpatient rehabilitation setting and enhance future employment prospects in a competitive new graduate market?
- Wanting to develop your time management and organisational skills, communication skills, rehabilitation implementation skills and AHA student supervision skills in a supportive environment.
- This is the job for you as a Grade 3 Allied Health Assistant at Barwon Health working in our Occupational Therapy Inpatient Rehabilitation Team!
- 56 hours per fortnight, must be able to work from 8am weekdays.
About the role
We have an opportunity for a suitably experienced and qualified person with a Cert IV in Allied Health Assistant or minimum completion of a 1st year occupational therapy degree, for the position of Gr 3 Allied Health Assistant. The successful applicant will be part of the occupational therapy inpatient rehabilitation team at McKellar Centre, staffed and supported by a senior clinician, 6 x Grade 2 OTs, 4 x grade 1 OTs and 2 other allied Health assistants covering the Neurological, GEM, Orthopaedic, Amputee and Trauma rehabilitation caseloads.
The role requires excellent verbal and written communication, time management and interpersonal skills and an understanding of medical conditions and the continuum of care. Ideally you will have experience in the screening, implementation and evaluation of therapeutic activities with patients both individually and in group settings. You will also be required to supervise allied health assistant students and complete supportive administration tasks as delegated by therapists. Demonstrable commitment to ensuring high standards of health service delivery and consumer focussed care is a must.
About the facility
Barwon Health’s McKellar Centre offers a range of client centred rehabilitation services that enable people to make a dynamic recovery. Located only minutes from the centre of Geelong, it is situated on a vibrant community asset with parkland surrounds. The 100 bed inpatient rehabilitation facility and Community Rehabilitation Service both offer comprehensive neurological, trauma, amputee and orthopaedic rehabilitation, geriatric evaluation and management, and palliative care services. We have state-of-the-art facilities in regard to assistive technology and education facilities.
You will work with an innovative multidisciplinary team who maintain extensive knowledge and experience. You will have support and guidance from fellow team members and management who exhibit our Barwon Health values, respect, compassion, commitment, accountability and innovation.
“Our people caring for the community is what makes us great”
Barwon Health staff benefits
- Flexible working arrangements
- Professional development
- Access to employee wellness facility
- Salary packaging
- Social club
- Be our future Barwon Health Strategic Plan
- Aboriginal Employment Plan
- Our Commitment to Child Safety
- At Barwon Health we harness a diverse and inclusive workforce where we value each person’s uniqueness. We will embrace diverse life experiences and the perspectives of our people, whilst providing high-quality health care to all members of our community, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, cultural background, disability, or sexual orientation.
- Our organisation promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of our staff and consumers including children, and have appropriate recruitment resources in place to ensure background checks and reference checks are completed.
- At Barwon Health we are committed to providing positive employment opportunities and outcomes for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and welcome employment applications from candidates of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander background.
- We Barwon Health is proud to be Totally Smoke Free.
Essential: Can you please choose one of Barwon Health's values and describe a situation in the workplace where you have displayed this value?
Essential: Certificate IV in Allied Health Assistant (Occupational Therapy) or equivalent (eg studying towards degree in Occupational Therapy, at least 2nd year OT student)
Essential: Current Victorian Motor Vehicle Driver’s License
Essential: Meets classification definitions under appropriate Award/Agreement regarding clinical experience
Desirable: Clinical experience as an AHA in relevant clinical caseload (subacute rehabilitation): Working directly with an Allied Health Professional; work alone or in teams under supervision following a prescribed program of activity.
Essential: Able to work weekdays from 8am.
Desirable: Advanced knowledge of medical conditions, terminology, disease and aging process within rehabilitation setting
To view and apply for this job on the web visit: